Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Collection for GLA

2 weeks ago, May 22, 2010, we did a collection of donations for God’s Littlest Angel’s in Haiti. When the earthquake hit Haiti January 12, Jeanne, my step-daughters aunt on their mother’s side felt that she needed to do something for the children in Haiti. I probably already said all of this in a previous blog post, but for the ones that don’t know, she decided to start a FB group and get people to donate items for the children. She was collecting them little by little and storing them for now. She didn’t know how or who she was going to send it to but she knows that it would all work out one way or another.

Before we left for our volunteer week at GLA, I had found on GLA website a contact in Halifax that we could bring donations for Haiti and they would have it ship to Haiti. We were all excited because we knew now that we could collect more donations and we would know exactly where it’s going. GLA is so good for their Country. They are not only operating as an orphanage since the earthquake, but they are helping out the nearby villages and tent cities with the supplies that they receive from people like us. Since I’ve planned my trip to Haiti in April, I’ve been collecting donations from coworkers, friends, family and random people that I don’t even know. I usually have a few loads ever week that I pick up after work. I cannot describe the feeling of how honoured I am to be doing this. Every bag I collect is like if I would be receiving a bag of money for my own. I get home all excited with a big smile on my face.

The morning of May 22th, Jeanne, Nicole and I were in the Downeast Plastic parking lot with posters, balloons and pails to collect donations for Haiti. This was the last collection before we start packing the boxes.

The following weekend, we were all back in the storage area sorting the items and filling out the boxes. We had lots of people coming to help us. It was great to see everyone lending a helping hand. I am so proud of my 2 step-daughters. They have been very active in all the activities for helping Haiti. Jeanne was able to get a company, sorry but I don’t remember the name right now. I will add it later when I talk to her. They donated 200 boxes (2cubic) for Haiti. We filled 140 boxes on Saturday May 29th. Since then, I’ve still been collecting items. Westmorland Fisheries in Cap-Pelé is going to donate a trucker to haul the boxes to Halifax. It’s amazing what 1 person can accomplish. Jeanne started this collection and as people got involved, we got more and more donations and people donating their time to make this work.

For the past month, I’ve been busy with the donations and it has kept my mind of the waiting process of our adoption. I think I will continue to collect items. I will be traveling to Haiti for sure in the next while so I will be able to bring more. Haiti will still need our help next year and in 10 years so there is no point of stopping now. This is just the beginning for me. I have finally found something that I am passionate about. I will have Haiti in my heart forever. Every day, I check out GLA blog and FB of the people that I have met in Haiti. I can’t wait to go back and see them.



I even got a package from my good friend Angele who lives in Halifax. She has such a good heart. Thank You Girl!!!!

1 comment:

Julie said...

So awesome guys. Keep up the great work :o)