Thursday, March 17, 2011

Citizenship or Permanent Residence?

Now the fun part begins… I filled for Kyanne to be a Permanent Residence in Canada and then we would file for her Canadian Citizenship but I guess GLA wants us to do the Citizenship route for the get go! So back on the phone tomorrow with Citizenship and Immigration Canada. I wonder who I’ll get on the phone... The one that can’t answer a general question or the nice guy that could answer all my general questions... LOL!


I had a fun day today. I called the call center first thing this morning and decided to be efficient and wrote down all the questions I had on a piece of paper to be able to ask all my questions quickly without having to go to each form and look for my question. I thought I was being smart. Well the lady on the other line proved me wrong. I started by saying that I had a few general questions and she did not even let me asked the questions because she had to know the exact form number and what line I had a question for. I was trying to explain that it was just a general question for the whole package... she said I’m sorry I cannot help you....I need the form number first. So all that to say that I had to go back and find each form number and ask a specific question with the specific number. That didn’t go to well. I decided to call back in the pm and got this nice gentleman on the phone that was actually helpful and was able to answer all my questions. He told me that I could switch to Citizenship instead of Permanent Residence in Canada so I will call back tomorrow and see what I need to do and what other forms I will have to fill out.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

I will pray you get the "nice guy"! :)

It's good to catch this early in the process!

Anonymous said...

Isn't this the truth! Everyone I know has had a different answer from CIC to the same question.
Are you aware of the differences between PR and direct citizenship? We are going the citizenship route at the moment (because that is what we were encouraged to do) but it means that your adopted child does not have the right to hand on their Canadian citizenship to their children when they grow up. Obviously this isn't an issue if they marry and have children in Canada, but could be an issue if they live in another country and want to return to Canada. My children were born in Wales, so it does happen more often than you would think. You probably know this info-but I thought I would share just in case. It is such a silly rule!
If you do manage to speak to the nice guy who can answer every question, can you give me his direct number please?:)