Wednesday, August 20, 2008

First adoptive parent contact - July 3, 2008

After only a few days that we had spread the news, everyone was excited for us. My niece, Julie called me at work to give me the name of a couple (André et Isabelle)that had just arrived the week before with a baby girl (Lexis)from Ethiopia. She said to give her a call because she was really nice and she would talk to me. I didn’t even wait 5 minutes to give her a call or even think about what I was going to ask her. I just picked up the receiver and dialed her number. Just as Julie explained, she was really nice on the phone. I asked her right away if she would meet us to talk about their journey to Africa.

… 2 days later… We were knocking on their door step. To our surprise they had the movie camera all setup with the video clips and pictures they took while in Ethiopia. We spend a few hours with them, talking, laughing and crying. When I saw the video when they first met their daughter and when they arrived at the airport in Moncton, I felt this weird feeling that just made me cry. I was feeling so emotional. At that moment I knew that one day, it would be us walking through those doors.

When I first told my dad that we were going to adopt, I told him not to get too excited in case something happened that it would not work out. He couldn’t not understand what I meant with “if it doesn’t work out’. He told me that we would make it work. Until that moment, watching the video, I didn’t’ felt 100% that we would go through this journey, but that changed my mind. Like my dad said, I’ll make this adoption happen.

That afternoon, we were celebrating my dad’s 70th Birthday. We announced the news to all the Landry family. Let me tell you, it was quite the emotional thing. I just couldn’t believe that we would get this great support from everyone. I used to live my life always worrying what others would say if… and I always thought that if we ever went with this adoption journey, people would say we’re not thinking strait… But this has been the most wonderful experience so fare announcing the news. We have family on all sides that loves us and supports us. This is truly the best feeling!




Here is a picture of future grandma, and all of little’s cousins that our daughter will be have be able to play with.



No comments: