Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Frist visit with Adoption Services - July 7, 2008

Like I said, there will be good and bad experiences . For some reason, I didn’t get a warm fussy felling going there. It was like being at a service counter and asking for some directions and you don’t understand a word they are saying. This actually happens to me quite often as I don’t have any sense of directions LOL! Anyways, back to my point, I felt that I had to make a decision based on no information and no way of getting any information. When I left, I had given her a few Countries that were of interest for us. The next day, she called me back with some answers. They weren’t answers that I wanted to hear, however it made me realize that if we were going to go through this process it’s certainly
not based on the information that is provided by the province.

This is the feedback from the places we asked for:

Ghana – Have to live in the country for 6 months
St. Vincent – Not up to Canadian Law
Dominica – No specifications and no agency (orphanage)available
Thailand – Long process
China – Not open
Philippines – Double the paper work and no time frame
South Korea – 4 years
Guyna – Have to live in the country for 1 year
Jamaica – Cannot bring child back
Cambodia – Closed
Haiti – On hold and long process

After talking to Isabelle and André, we knew we wanted to adopt, however we didn’t feel right about Ethiopia. It seemed like a nice program, well established, however it wasn’t right for us. I wasn’t sure why we weren’t connecting until I did more research on Ghana. Isabelle told me all about the agency they adopted from. The agency is called Imagine Adoption, located in Cambridge, Ontario. We went through their site and did some researched on Google ( my truly best friend). We immediately connected with Ghana. Reason… they are located on the North West Coast of Africa on the Atlantic ocean. The ocean, beach, made our connection to the place. My husband and I are what you call typical beach bums. We rarely leave our house during the summer because we live right on the beach. If we go on vacation and there is no ocean, lake, river… we feel lost. After looking at the map and seeing were Ethiopia was, I don’t think we could of lasted a week or 2 there. I already feel more comfortable to go to Africa, now that I know that we’ll be able to see the ocean. Basically we’ll see the other end of our beach :)

Picture of sunset from our balcony





No comments: