Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Our Agency went Bankrupt!

Well there it is. Our agency went bankrupt. What a story.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/adoption-agencys-bankruptcy-devastates-families/article1217223/

After all we’ve been through this year, I would of not imagined anything like this happening. All of this came out Monday July 13, 2009. Funny it was that last week, we started talking about other options. I had even contacted my caseworker at Imagine and she had told me we could pull out at any time and get 50% of the agency fee and all of the other cheque that was suppose to go to the orphanage when we would accept our proposal. Monday I emailed her to asked how long it would take to have our Dossier back and then I was going to send our official email saying we were pulling out of the program. My caseworker usually reads my email pretty quickly she sometimes don’t answer right away but she would always acknowledge that she had read it. After I got back from the gym on my lunch hour, I checked my emails and had not seen a response from my caseworker yet. I found it weird but then started reading my friends email telling me not to panic but she had heard rumors that Imagine had gone bankrupt. I picked up the phone and called her right way. Not knowing what to say, I told her I would call Imagine and just asked her how long it would take for our dossier to get back to Canada. First time in a year that I call the agency and I get voice mail. I knew right there that it was not a rumor. It was true.

Now that I had a few days to vent, I know now why we had a change of hearts and why I was at the crossroad on Sunday night. I knew something was going to happen deep down and needed to be ready for the change. I was not attached to Ghana because I had not a picture yet. I am heartbroken for the families that were further ahead in the process that us. There are 100’s of families that are going to be fighting to bring home their children. I am praying for all of them. I don’t want anything to happen to does children. This is not the children’s fault. They don’t deserve this.

We lost faith in the agency, however we didn’t lose faith in our dream. I guess Ghana was not where we needed to be. We were maybe there for a dry run and now the real challenge is beginning. I have made some contacts and am ready to start this all over again. A year has passed and I am fully committed to start process #2 with Haiti. This time I am not using an agency. I am doing this on my own with the help of some friends.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Sylvie, I look forward to following along with you as your journey heads in a different direction.

Brendan and Mary said...

I am happy to hear that you guys are starting down another path. I look forward to following your journey to Haiti.

We'll continue to support all of the families fighting to bring home their children from Ghana and Ethiopia.

Take care!

Jess said...

I look forward to watching your Haiti journey and am excited for you!