Sunday, May 9, 2010

Old childhood memories coming back to life after 20 years !!!!

Who would have known that old childhood games would come and hunt us 20 years later LOL



Well I don’t know if my dad is trying to be remembered on this weakened of Mothers day... but he is remembered alright. My husband and I don’t normally go out on dates, but today, we made a special occasion and decided to go for a HotStone massage. This was his birthday gift for February. We then went for a nice supper. We were on our way home and made a pit stop to Wal-Mart. I was in line at the cash and my cell rang. It was my mom. If you don’t know my mom, well I am nothing like her. When I tell stories, you know right away if it’s something good or bad. When you listen to her stories, you have to wait till the end to figure out if its life threatening or not... Anyways to go on with my story, my mom started by saying that she had to call 911 because she found a hand grenade while cleaning the leaves in the yard. She said there are 2 cop cars blocking both drive ways as we speak. The police officers had to drive to Gagetown (2 hr drive from Memramcook) to get the proper SWATT suites to enter the house and investigate the “hand grenade” She then explained to me that this all started early this week. She was cleaning in the yard and found this little brownish object bellow a tree. She took it in her hands and brought it inside. Never told anyone or even mentioned it to me on the phone. Today, my uncle came over to see my mom and she decided to show him the little treasure she found. When he saw that, he immediately told her what it was and told her to call the police right away. So they did. She then decided to call me after the fact. As soon as she told me the whole story, I explained to her that our dad used to bring us to a store in Memramcook called the “War Surplus”. We used to buy all kinds of war items and play war and ninjas. Growing up in the 80’s we did not play online games, we were the game LOL. We even had the camouflage makeup and the clothing. To my knowledge, we had GRENADES!!! When I told that to my mom, she was shocked. She did not believe me. She said that this particular grenade had the little pin on it. I did not remember if the ones we played with had the pin or not. I immediately called my brother in Edmonton to confirm our story and as soon as I told him he said, finally, I looked for that grenade for so long. I thought I had lost it in the woods. Well what a surprise!!! My dad mowed the lawn for the past 20 years and never did he come across the grenade. This is really funny now. My brother explained to me that at the WarSurpluse, they sell old war items. For example, the grenades that we had were used in war or at army bases for practices but they were all clean up and re-sold with the pin but nothing in it to explode. My mom drove back to the house to tell the story to the police, but they told her they still have to do a proper investigation. Only in Memramcook would you find that kind of excitement LOL! Around midnight, they called my mom to let her know it was safe to go back home. They found the whole beneath the grenade. So it was a real one, but just a souvenir! I’m sure that my dad is laughing right now. He always liked to tease and have fun. Well I guess he wanted to remind my mom of the good old days on this Mother’s Day Weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sure he had a good laugh!

Lisanne