Saturday, November 26, 2011

I’m broke but I won the lottery!





We’ve been home now for 4 days and I have not stopped running around. My house is a mess, I start doing something and can’t finish it but there is one thing that I am sure of... Kyanne is home and I am the happiest mom ever! Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all pretty butterflies. I have my challenges but I love every moment of it. While I was in Haiti, I wrote in a journal each day so I could share our story. As soon as I have time to type it up, I will share our experience with all of you. Hopefully I will be getting into a routine next week.

I will give you all a little resumé of our first few days at home:

   Kyanne is everything that I wanted in a daughter, minus the bed time LOL! This evening was the second night that I was able to put her to sleep in my arms and then do the transfer in the crib. I refuse to let her cry going to bed in a crib all by herself. She’s a perfect angel and I will not let her be sad. My arms are tired but it’s worth the pain. Once she stops sucking on her thumb, I know that it’s safe for me to transfer her for a good night sleep.

   She’s a very good eater as well and she especially loves bananas.

   Both my step daughters stayed with me on Thursday and Friday for the transition. I am so blessed to have them. Yesterday we decided to take Kyanne in the car and go grocery shopping. It was a success! She was a bit shy, staring at the items on the shelves. She did so good that we decided to stop at my work so they can meet her. As soon as we stepped foot into the building, everyone stopped to see her. I think Kyanne is doing well with the attachment because she did not want to go with everyone. She was holding her hands up and wanted to be with me. That made mommy feel real good.

   Oh and one thing... Kyanne is totally Daddy’s Girl!!! She loves mommy but you can tell that she feels comfort on daddy in the evenings. She loves to cuddles with him.

   Today, my husband and I left early to go to the farmers market and see my mom with Kyanne, Sam and George. This is what I had been waiting for... doing things as a family. When we got home, I took her outside with her snow suite. She looked like a marshmallow LOL! She could barely walk and all of a sudden, she lost balance and fell front first. She did not hurt herself because she was padded in every angle.

   Since we got home, I’ve been putting on my bathing suit and taking a bath with her. She loves playing in the tub. This is the best part for me. Getting her all clean and putting her in her pyjama. I am not able to cuddle with her just yet on the couch but I know it will come. I am just so grateful that she is able to cuddle with daddy.

   Like our monthly updates stated... When Kyanne is not happy, everyone knows about it. She just stares at you with her big brown/black eyes and just throws herself on the floor and screams. As soon as I pick her up, she is a happy camper. I’m not sure if picking her up is the right thing to do, but I want her to know that she is loved and that’s what I am doing so far.

   Kyanne is what so ever not afraid of the dogs. She talks to them and sings to them. She did not like the liking part at first but she actually puts her foot down and says in a loud voice ‘Hey!’ to them while pointing her finger and they just sit and listen LOL! It’s too funny to watch her.

   I honestly believe that Kyanne has transition quite well into our family. We don’t have a routine established yet so I hope that the transition is going to continue to improve. I am looking forward to next week, everyone is going back to work, except me ( so happy). I will have my alone time with Kyanne and get to know her better.

   She’s been sleeping 12 hrs. I don’t know if it’s a lack of sleep from the orphanage or if it’s really what she was used to sleeping. I guess we’ll see as time goes by.

3 comments:

Joy said...

It is so fun to read your update on your first few days at home together! Hoping the transition continues to go well (as it did when we brought our Lily home at 14 months...some of the things you write about Kyanne wanting to you pick her up around strangers, and having a strong mind and desire to let people know how she is feeling all sounds very familiar)!

Gen said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl she is...

Denise said...

I have anxiously been stalking your blog hoping for an update - happy to read this one! I LOVE that you aren't letting her cry to go to sleep - she has a lot of love and "babying" to catch up on! I guess I'm reading this from the attachment standpoint and all the research I have been doing - cuddling her to sleep is WONDERFUL, not letting other people holder (besides immediate family) WONDERFUL - taking baths with her, SO GOOD! and picking her up when she has a tantrum - WONDERFUL!! In about 2 months time, she might need more limits set on her, but for now you want to cuddle, love and give her all the affection you possibly can. One attachment therapist suggests that instead of saying "no" at this stage, happily pick her up and put her in your baby carrier... it puts a positive spin on limits. In regards to sleep - Amara who is 3.5 years old usually still sleeps 12 -13 hours at night, and often has a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. The more sleep the better :) 12 hour nights are very normal and good for her age.