Monday, January 18, 2010

A weekend I wouldn’t want to go through again

Saturday, after my friend had me all excite, I started writing emails. I sent letter to GLA director and the adoption coordinator in Haiti. I asked what was the situation for the families that did not receive a referral yet. Not 30 min passed and she had replied back that at this stage, it was still unsure. This is a totally acceptable answer. After being let down with Ghana program, I was just being selfish and thinking about my needs. Sunday morning I woke up to an update on GLA site. This is the post:

******************************************************************************
Why We Aren’t Accepting Applications for Adoptions…..
Posted by Tom Vanderwell. 8 Comments
This was personally a very difficult post to write because I’ve really appreciated all of the people who are interested in helping and adopting the orphaned kids from Haiti. ‘
But here’s what the realities are at the moment:
• We don’t know when the Haitian government will be able to begin processing new adoptions.
• We don’t know when the Haitian government will be reestablished enough to either reaffirm existing rules or set up new ones.
• We don’t know how long and under what situations the orphaned status of the new children being brought to us will be able to be determined.
There are just too many things that we don’t know. So, until we know more, we can’t accept applications for adoptions.
But we do need help in many ways besides for that at the moment.
Stay tuned to this site for more information.


******************************************************************************
At that point and time, I thought I was losing it. I emailed the adoption coordinator or again and she told me exactly what is in the post. I felt so helpless and let down. All I’ve been wanting for the pass 18th months is to bring home my baby girl. I could not imagine the high I had on Saturday and just a few hours passed and I am down. I actually cried. For the pass 18th months, I’ve had ups and downs but I don’t think I hit a wall this hard. I know it’s because I’ve been watching CNN and CBC updates on the tragic quake as well. Even if Dixie, the director of the O said they have enough food and water for the children, my heart still aches for the rest of the population in Haiti. I pray god that it will come better. I actually came home from work on Friday and did not leave to house till Sunday evening to go see the girls play ringuette in Cap-Pelé. That was the highlight of my weekend.

Monday morning came and I was in no shape to go to work. I did not sleep last night. I honestly processed my immigration files in my head all night long. I was doing all kinds of scenarios of what could possibly happen and how it could happen.

I finally woke up and called Dominique LeB. MP office to meet with him. He is in Ottawa till next week so I scheduled to meet with him on Jan 29th at 10. I then called Immigration office with my Client ID that I had for Ghana. The girl on the phone explained to me that I had to cancel that file and file a new one for Haiti. So thank god I process those files during the night in my head. LOL! As the day progressed, I started seeing post on the FB group for Canadians adopting to Haiti about families that did not receive a proposal yet. People like me want to know what’s in store for us next!!! I don’t feel so alone anymore. I finally came back to my senses at supper time. I was able to process in my brain the good news:
HAITIAN PRESIDENT RENE PREVAL HAS GIVEN PERMISSION FOR ALL CHILDRN IN THE ADOPTION PROCESS TO LEAVE HAITI AND JOIN THEIR "FOREVER" FAMILIES IN THEIR ADOPTIVE COUNTRIES!


I am very happy with the news. These wonderful families that have been waiting years and years will finally have their children home. This is a true blessing from god! I know I still have a long way to go to bring home my baby girl, but it will happen.

Let’s just hope that tomorrow will bring good news and some of the children will be on planes to Canada.

1 comment:

Pastor Deb said...

I am so sorry for you and your husband for all you have gone through. Keep believing Sylvie.. God will make it happen. When all the trouble was in Ghana I was heart broken and I thought I would loose all our children from our home. We worked so hard for years to have a great home and then this happened. I was ready to give up on God and life. My heart was there with all those kids. But Sylvie, God is turning it around. We still have homes elsewhere and they are successful. And I am believing Ghana will open up soon again so we can get those children back and start loving them again. So I am telling you this to encourage you and your family. Someday you will be holding your beautiful child in your arms and all of this will be far from you and you will be blessed and happy. Child birth is terribly painful but in the end when you hold your child it is all forgotten. This is how it will be for you. I will pray for you and your family. Pray for us too ok?