Friday, April 9, 2010

Found my little Munchkin!

Day 3 – April 7, 2010

Last night I forgot to tell you about the sounds of Haiti. We were on the patio reading peacefully and in the background you could hear Haitian people signing a few blocks away and then from another distance, we heard music. Let’s not forget all the dogs barking into the night. If I was home, I’m sure we would have been complaining about the noise but here in Haiti, is a sound pretty normal. We are all up right now on the patio With Bailey and Kyla. Its 6:30 am. Nikki is making us pancakes and fresh coffee. I am ready for another day and can’t wait for day 2 at GLA.


We walked down to the Toddler house and the children were already there, smiling and signing for us. We stayed there a few minutes to play with them and then off to the O. This morning, Melissa said we would walk down. So off we went along with the 2 French (from France) ladies. Today was a really important day for them. They were going to sign the adoption papers in front of the judge. It was another experience walking those Haitian streets this morning. Girls and boys walking all dressed up to go to school. They all had smiles on their faces and telling us bonjour! At every corner of a street, you have Haitian people selling stuff. They cook food right on the side of the street. Nicole almost fell walking down a street. You cannot imagine how bad the roads are. I’m not sure if the picture and video will do justice to it. We’ll see when we get home.



 
















































When we got to the O. and off we went to the nurseries to get the children. As soon as I saw my little princess in her crib, I went to pick her up. She had her arms in the air ready for me . A few minutes after we got on the balcony, Melissa came over to let us know that they were going to move all the children upstairs with us along with the care givers and nannies. They were going to spray for cockroaches. Ikes!!! I am so happy that I had not seen one yet  Instead of having 1 child per hour, we had them all at once. It was sort of overwhelming at first but we got the hang of it. You had 2 of them in your arms because they were crying to get in your arms and them you saw a little boy hit another one and they start crying.... put one of the children that you had in your arms down so you can pick up the other one crying on the floor. Wow! But all in all it went well. You should have seen the nannies in the pm. They were all lying down in a corner sleeping or on a chair. They are not too stressed. Some of the children had fevers today and were not at ease. My little princess stayed with me all day. She even fell asleep on me for more than an hour. The one thing that I didn’t enjoy today was seeing them eat. Because we were all on the balcony the nannies were giving them their bottles and food with us. So today, my little princes did not want her milk in the morning because she was not feeling good. She had a baby cookie later on the baby cereal and then I had to tell them that she was trusty so they gave me a big bottle of juice, probably tang... and then a chocolate pudding. What can you do!!!!

Well tonight was peanut butter sandwich for me. They had macaroni and cheese, plus hamburger in it. I hope that there is something else tomorrow that I will be able to eat. If not, well there is always peanut butter sandwich LOL! The good part about supper time was that I was sitting by Dixie and we had a good chat. She is a super lady. She told us that her husband, John will take us see the new land where they are going to be building the new orphanage, guest house, church... This is in Fort St. Jacques. I guess it’s like 5 miles away.

After supper, we had bible study. This was my first time attending one so I was pretty nervous. They handed us books and everything. Brandon, Nikki and the kids came over. They were some glade to see us. Especially Daniel 

Once we got back to the guest house, I had promised the girls that I would do Yoga with them and Daniel. The girls were just having a ball. They are the cutest and adorable children and well behaved. After yoga we just sat on the balcony with the whole family and just talked. We really got to know the Jordan Family. They explained to us how it was when the earthquake hit. They used to live in PAP in a duplex with no yard. They said it was pretty dangerous. She never went out after 3pm. They are really happy that they are now living in the guess house and running it.

That family make us feel such at home. I feel that we are living in the 1900’s. Life is just so simple here. I was telling Jeanne the other night how I get really anxious when I travel, but here, I feel no stress. Just miss my husband, Renée, my mom, Sam, George and Sponge.

At 2am, I got awaken by Daniel being sick. The poor guy was not feeling good. He went downstairs to sleep on the couch. Jeanne being the great mother she is, she went and slept on the other couch to take care of her son.

No comments: