Thursday, April 22, 2010

WE ARE THE WORLD!

On my lunch break at work, I went jogging on the trail that runs along the side of the Chocolate River. It was a fun and peaceful hour! When I got close to work, I found a nice spot to do my stretches and the song, We Are The Word was playing on my IPhone. This is the old version, the one that Michael Jackson and Tina Turner are in. To tell you the truth, I have not watched the video of the new version they did for Haiti. I was too emotional for me at the time. After listening to the old version I think I am ready to see it now. I will Google it tonight when I get home.
The words in the song got me thinking...

I wanted to just copy a few lines of the songs to show how the devastating earthquake in Haiti changed my life forever on January 12, however the words are all true and its all how I feel. I guess I can say that I was probably naive and selfish before. This trip to Haiti changed the way I see people, things, and life. I’m not saying that I was a bad person before, but just seeing things on the Internet or on CNN is not the same. I drove in a SUV from the airport in PAP to Pétion-Ville up in the Mountains. We saw fields of tents and tarps on each side of the roads in the city. The earthquake hit more than 3 months ago and they still have nothing. When we got to the Orphanage, John, Dixie’s husband was telling us that they got 3 or 4 containers full of donations that are stuck at Customs in PAP. The Gov. is putting red tap on the donations and want to charge tax... I don’t really know all the details but it’s not good. GLA, from the goodness of their hearts, they are doing everything they can to help out. They are receiving donations all over the world from people like us. They are trying to “lend a hand to life”. On top of trying to run the orphanage, they are helping the nearby villages with all the donations they are collecting. Here is the link to the stories of one of the journeys of Tent City Ministry. THEY ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE!

Well for me, it changed who I am today and who I want to be in the future. I have a new perspective on life in general. We have to be thankful everyday for being alive and healthy. We take things for granted too much. I made a commitment to myself that I will not live a life that I don’t like. I am going to be making choices that will make me a better and happy person. I will not make room for negativity. If I do fall off the wagon, I sure hope that I will be able to realize on my own that I have to make some changes to reflect the good. I am as well, making a commitment that Haiti will always be a part of me and even after our adoption is completed, I still want to contribute my effort and time to them. If I,” one person can do it”, so can everyone “The world must come together as one”

Here are the lyrics of the song for a reminder to everyone.

There comes a time
When we head a certain call
When the world must come together as one
There are people dying
And it's time to lend a hand to life
The greatest gift of all
We can't go on
Pretending day by day
That someone, somewhere will soon make a change
We are all a part of
God's great big family
And the truth, you know love is all we need

[Chorus]
We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

Send them your heart
So they'll know that someone cares
And their lives will be stronger and free
As God has shown us by turning stone to bread
So we all must lend a helping hand

When you're down and out
There seems no hope at all
But if you just believe
There's no way we can fall
Well, well, well, well, let us realize
That a change will only come
When we stand together as one

No comments: