Friday, April 16, 2010

Hard day’s work in Haiti

Day 6, April 10, 2010


This morning, I woke to the neighbours signing. Brandon said it was probably some kind of ritual. I had oatmeal again for breakfast with a few slices of Nikki’s homemade pumpkin bread. Today is Saturday so John was going to pick us up at 9 to go painting. Haitian time, we left around 9:45. He had his adoptive son and Dave the Australian guy with him already. We spent the morning putting on primer and then painting the walls of the house at Fort St. Jacques. We also tried to scrub the new flooring of the bathroom. They put tiles that absorbs so it’s all dirty already. I am glad we went today with John. I will have contributed to the construction of the new orphanage. I can’t wait for Victor to come and see this place. It’s just amazing. He would of loved helping out John today.

After supper, I had a nice chat with Stephanie, how is the adoption coordinator. She was telling me about the adoption process and how Dixie is the one that reads all the dossiers and matches the child to the families. She still wasn’t able to give me an estimated time for our referral but she explained how it all works.

We got to the Main House around 4:30, just in time for FB before supper. Tonight was sloppy Joe’s so it was peanut butter toast with bananas. I had some potatoes and fruits as well. When we got to the guest house, I had a nice homemade cookie and a tea. It was pouring rain this evening so we went downstairs and Brandon had the projector on and was showing us some family picture and some of the work he did after the earthquake to help distribute aid.

No comments: