Friday, April 16, 2010

Church Day

Day 7, April 11, 2010,


This morning we woke up to the smell of pancakes and bacon. We were sitting on the balcony and Nikki came with coffee in her hands. We did ballet with the girls before we headed out to church. Sunday is a day of rest in Haiti. Canada, its Costco Day! We relaxed till about 10 am and then we headed to the priest house for church. Another spectacular view to see.

After church, everyone went back to the Main House for lunch. We had rice and beans of course, steamed vegetable, bread and a fruits cup up in a liquid. The fruits were so good but I was eating it with my fork. I think Dixie saw me drooling over it so she told me it was ok to drink from the bowl to get all the juice LOL! So I did!!! Nikki had made a supper good cake for lunch. It was white but filled with chocolate on top. Because it’s Sunday, we were not on the schedule with the children so right after my lunch, I hurried to go up and see my little princess. She was eating her lunch and stopped when she saw me. She came in my arms right away. I just sat in the middle of the floor where all the beds are and, Michnaud, Big Gerry, and 3 others came and played with me. They did not cry at all. I was playing and giving them all attention. They all had big smiles on their faces. When I left the room, they all just looked at me and waved good bye.

When we got back to the guest house with the Jordan’s, Melissa called to see if we wanted to go for a hick in the woods. Nicole, Daniel, Nikki and I went. We were about 10 that went. We have fun but was it ever a workout. We were walking by the Haitian doing their everyday thing. Some were working in gardens, some selling stuff and others just hanging around. Each time we passed by Haitians, they say bonjour or bonsoir. They are all really friendly. I had no fear at all walking those villages’ streets. While we were getting in the woods, the river started flowing and we saw 2 Haitian taking a bath. When we got to the water fall, the view was just breath taken. The air was so pure.

For supper we had tuna sandwiches and chips. On Sunday evenings, nobody cooks. Its relax time. We watched Princess and the Frog while Nikki gave us pedicures. She said she likes doing them. It was just like being at the Spa! It’s really hard to imagine that tonight is our last night here. I know that it won’t be my last but for this time around it is. We really connected with the Jordan’s and its going to be hard to leave tomorrow. Brandon asked Dixie if it was ok for him to bring us to the airport tomorrow and she said yes. They ‘all going to bring us to a coffee shop down where they used to live in the city. I’m glad because we did not really get to see any of that yet. We were so far from the hustle and bustle.

Right now, I am sitting in our room listening to the rain fall. Rainy season just started and there lighting and thunder. Oh and yesterday just before supper time, there was a small tremor. Jeanne felt it but the rest of us didn’t. It’s really weird because we only found out today and last night I had a dream that my little princess was in Canada and I was trying to get her paper work to adopt her. In all that I dreamt that there was an earthquake... When the workers told us today that they felt the earth shake yesterday I suddenly thought of my dream.

I don’t think I mentioned this yet, but every day or night, the power goes. When the power goes out, the batteries kick in. When the power goes back out, they have to plug the generator in case it would be out for a long period of time. It’s quite the system. Just heating up a cup of water in the microwave can cause the batteries to die. It’s sad to see how we take things for granted in Canada. We don’t even realize how much energy we consume in a day. Here, in Haiti, you have to think twice before making a cup of tea or using the toaster.

Another think I forgot to mention is that I got a cold! All the children had runny noses, fevers all week and I’ve been kissing them all week. I should have been smarter than that but then again, if I was able to give them love and comfort, it’s worth being sick for a few days. It won’t kill me.

Tomorrow is going to be a very difficult day. I really want to get home to my dear husband that I miss dearly but at the same time I don’t want to leave this beautiful place. We’ll be with the children till noon and them Nikki and Brandon are going to pick us up. Miami for 2 days and I would rather stay here the extra days.

No comments: