Friday, April 9, 2010

The Ice Breaker!

Day 1 – April 5, 2010

Happy Easter to everyone!
After a good Easter lunch with the family, we came home to get ready for our journey. My stomach knew that I was leaving. Instead of having supper, we stopped at DQ for ice cream. I think I realized at the Moncton Airport that I was really leaving. Victor and Gilles stayed for a while until we bored the plane.

Flight from Moncton to Toronto was pleasant. We arrived in Toronto, got our luggage and found a nice comfy spot for the night. It wasn’t too bad actually. We slept at a table in a restaurant at the Arrival place. Before I laid down to rest, I attached a strap of my bag to my carryon luggage and was holding the other end. I did that so nobody would steel me stuff while I was sleeping. I had set my iPhone alarm for 3:10 am so we would be the first in line for our luggage and custom but my phone died and thank god for Jeanne, she woke up at 3:30.

Let the fun begin... The nice man at the ticketing booth waved the $30 fee for each of our second checked baggage. Off we went to try and pass through the lady standing at the entrance where we were dropping off our checked baggage. She was not too nice. She told us we could only bring 1 carry-on on the plane. I had called AC and American Airlines before we left and we were told that an extra personal item such as a laptop was permitted. Anyway, needless to say, we were on our knees on the floor trying to rearrange our stuff. Before I could go pass her she told me that I had to fit my carry on in the display thingy. I knew that it would not fit, but with a few deep breaths and hard pushes and a bang... I got it in :) I looked at her with a big smile! I was really proud of myself. She actually had to help me take it out of the display; it was sort of stuck...hahaha

So off we were in line to drop of our checked baggage on the belt. The guy set it so we only pick them up in Haiti. Jeanne and I were concern, but he re-assured us that our bags would be there!!! We'll see.

After we passed security, we made a pit stop to Starbuck for a coffee with a shot of espresso! Oh god how I needed that! Next thing you know, we are on the plane and are headed to Miami! I slept for 2 hours. I actually just woke up.! I needed the rest. I am now ready for my adventure. Let hopes the rest of the gang are all rested as well.

When we got on the plane in Miami, I was feeling a bit nervous. I was telling myself, THIS IS IT. No turning back. As soon as we took off, I fell asleep. When I woke up I knew that I was ready. I had a good feeling. I knew at that point that everything was going to work out. I was not afraid.

The smell that everyone was saying would hit us when we would get off the plane, it was not there.

The fear that I thought would hit me when I would walk in the airport, it was not there.

The one little part that got me concern was when they were telling us we had to get on a bus before going to Immigration. I did not know what we had to do but a nice man told us it was ok to go on the bus. He said it was not his first time and that the bus was going to take us to Immigration. So off we went on the bus. We passed Immigrations fine, I asked for Thomas Pierre Frantz from Quarantine. The guy Diane wanted me to give the album that Melissa prepared for the children’s mother and along with the rest of the supplies. I was told that it was at the next step, customs that I would have to ask for him. We then waited probably 1 hr for our luggage to be all on our carts. It was a little crazy, but not as what people was telling me.

In my mind, I had imagined worst. Once we got our luggage, we went to custom. It’s funny how I had been dreading this moment for so long. The fear, of having Customs search our luggage... But NOTHING!!!! I mean nothing. They did not even ask us 1 question... He took our Immigration card and smiled. Wow!!! At this point, I asked again for Thomas Pierre Frantz and the custom guy pointed at a young man sitting beside the door. When I got to him, I introduced myself and he showed me a paper with Diane’s name. I knew I had the right person. While we had a few suitcases open to get the supplies for him, I felt that everyone at customs was staring at us. I had all our suitcases open and was putting stuff in Melissa’s white bag. I thought for sure that at that time, someone would come up to us and start searching, but they did not even say anything.



As soon as we got out the door, we saw the guy with a sign that said GLA with all our names. It was that easy. I was in total shock. By this point, it was sort of ruff on the edges. We were walking with these men not really knowing who they were and they had our luggage and screaming at each other. After a few minutes, I recognized one of the guys from Dixie’s blog. I know at that point that we were ok. Daniel and Jeanne went in one truck and Nicole and I in the other. I t think this was the most challenging moment for me. I was not nervous but just in a total rush. I know now why Victor did not come to Haiti on my first trip. I don’t think he would have made it. Even Nicole was a little bit nervous. As soon as we got in the truck, it was not too bad. We were just hoping that they were bringing us to the O. I took some video clips of the airport and the drive to the O. It was probably 1 hr drive. The more we were going up in the mountains, the richer it was. I did not feel any culture shock at all. I knew we were not in Canada but again, it was not as worst as I had expected. Having followed CNN during the earthquake, I thought that that’s what I was still going to see. What caught my eyes the most was the tent cities. I could not believe that I was actually seeing them with my own eyes.


When we got to the O., a volunteer from BC greeted us. She was really nice. Her name is Angela. She had been there for a month. She said it was great. We then met some staff and it was time for super. They served rice, spring rolls and a yummy brownie. Victor would have loved that part LOL! After supper, Melanie gave us a tour of the Main House. The first room we saw was the infant room. There were little tinny babies in there. We did not stay long because the room was full of care givers. The next spot was the balcony. If you have already seen picture for GLA, you will know that they have a spectacular view of the mountains. We were there just in time for the sunset. It was just amazing. This is where we will be spending time with the children one on one. Next, we visited the children room I guess. Not sure what they call it but all the children were running toward us and wanting to be held. It was the most amazing feeling. We all had 2 children in our hands and others trying to climb in our arms. After the tour, she explained to us that we would be sleeping at the guest house. We were going to wait for someone to drive us. In the meantime, we talked to a few other volunteers from Canada. They were from Toronto and Montréal. They gave us some pointers and things we should know. We were able to check our FB and call home at that time. We called to let everyone know we had made it in one peace.

I don’t know what made me changed O at the last minute, but I know now that I made the right decision. This is a wonderful place. Before we headed out to our guest house, I was able to give my 5 copies of our adoption dossier to Dixie. I was so excited. The day has finally arrived. This is a true blessing.

When we got to the guess house, we were all just staring at the nice house. It’s a real house that we are sharing with another couple that have 3 children. Their names are Brandon and Nikki Jordan. I honestly have no complaints at all. We sat on our balcony on the second floor by our bed room. It was so peaceful. Because we are in the mountains, there’s a nice cool breeze. Nikki said she would have coffee ready for 7 am for breakfast. That is all I needed to hear.

I decided to take my shower tonight to get a good night sleep. Everyone is sleeping right now and I am going to do the same in a minute.I am truly grateful and happy that I had the courage to do this. Just to let everyone now... I am sleeping in the sheets that Nikki had prepared the bed with. Oh and I forgot to mention this. They have 3 dogs at the O. One wiener dog, a huge dog that is almost my size, a great dane and another mix dog.

I can’t wait to get up tomorrow morning and go play... I mean work with the children.

No comments: