Friday, April 16, 2010

Movie night at the Jordan’s Guest House

Day 5, April 9, 2010-04-09
This morning, Daniel got up to come to work. We think it was just a sun stroke and not the food. He is looking better that yesterday. Brandon had gone to get his some Gatorade so he was able to hydrate again. We were woken up this morning with the smell of homemade cinnamon buns. Were they ever yummy!!! I don’t know what I’m going to do when I get back home. How is going to cook all those yummy breakfast stuff for us???? Maybe Nicole who knows, maybe Haiti changed her as well and she will cook for us from now on LOL! 

When we got to the O. Melissa said was going to go shopping this morning. I went to pick up my little princess again this morning. She is always smiling. We left around 10 am for a little bit of shopping. It was same as when we go to the DR, Mexico... you have to bargain. We bought a few things for souvenirs. I bought my first How to learn Creole book. I am so excited. I will have something to obsess about for a few months. The bell just rang for lunch, will continue later.

We had Rice, Beans with a chicken sauce on the side and bread for lunch. I still did well, just left the sauce part out. Right after lunch we went back upstairs to play with the children. This pm, we took out the tubs and kiddie pool and filled them up with water so the children could play in the water. They had a blast. Even with the aches and pain some of these children have, they always have that huge smile on their faces. Probably 75% of the children have a runny nose, fever and their stomachs are so huge. I’ve been told that allot of children in orphanages have worms but seeing the size of their stomachs from my own eyes... that’s a different story. We were sitting on the floor playing with the children and talking about how they all have the same toys in their mouth, we don’t even know if they give them water because we only see them with milk or juice, their nose is always running... on and on but at the same time, we know that this orphanage is so great. They have nannies, nurses running 24 hrs to care for the children. Maybe they don’t live up to our standards in our home, but I know that the children are loved. It’s easy for us to say we could do this, they should do that but we are not the ones trying to care for all those children. They are doing a fantastic job and I will be at ease knowing that my daughter will someday be living there for a short period of her life. I know that there will be great volunteers taking her up on the balcony and playing with her and not wanted to bring her down after the one hour passed to go switch for another child. Jeanne took my little princess for some time this pm and I was trying not to look at her. Every time I would get up or move her little head would follow were I was going. I don’t know what I am going to do Monday when we have to leave. It’s going to be heart breaking. Oh and while I’m on the subject of my little princess, I taught her how to blow her runny noise by making funny faces with her. It’s too funny!

After the water fun with the children, we mellowed down and had nice chats with the other volunteers. We got to know them. Nicole made them laugh... I was telling them how the little girl that I still can’t write her name properly aka... My Little Princess that she was ‘The One’ and ‘Mine’. Nicole just looked at me and said ‘I thought I was the one LOL’ everyone started to laugh.

For supper, we had Pizza. It was good. Tonight we stayed at the Main House a little bit longer than usual after supper. We bought some GLA souvenirs and had a chance to update FB.

When we got back to the Jordan’s Guest House, the girls came running for us outside. It was movie night! We got in the door and the projector and DVD were all setup in the living room. I was just shaking my head. We are in Haiti and we are watching a movie on a projector and on top of that, Nikki made homemade cookies. Molly, Melissa and Joyce came from the Toddler House to watch the movie with us. It was like being at the theatre. We even had a special visitor that joined us... I will post the picture when we get home.

Before we left the Main House, we told John, Dixie’s husband that we would go help him out at Fort St. Jacques to paint. We did not know that Brandon and Nikki had already made plans to take us out on a little tour and visit a nice coffee shop. We tried to negotiate getting out of painting but at the end Brandon said he will see if he can bring us to the airport on Monday and we would leave early to do our little site seeing.

No comments: