Saturday, April 3, 2010

Exceptional Friday

It’s 2 am, beginning of Saturday. In less than 48 hrs, I will be on my way to Haiti. I honestly thought that at this point, I would start to get nervous but I am not. I am perfectly calm. I think... The only thing bugging me now is that Victor is not coming. I know that it’s going to be hard not being with him for 10 days but deep down, I know it’s for a good reason. Nicole will be with me so I will have some of my home with me. Yesterday, I packed and repacked all day. I think I have everything in the right suitcases. While I was packing, I still had people coming over with more donations. I sort of feel bad that I am not able to bring it all with me but I have to remember that when we get back, we will be bringing all the rest of the donations to Halifax to make its way to Haiti.


I have to tell you guys about my Friday at work. At lunch time, my cousin Margo picked me up to go eat at Calactus. While we were driving,  a lady called on my cell and wanted me to go pickup some clothes, blankets... to bring to Haiti. I was explaining to her that I did not have my car to work so I would arrange to go pick it up this weekend. Being Margo and always wanting to help, she said tell  her  you’ll go tonight; you’ll come home with me tonight. Because I finish work at 4, Margo said take my car and you’ll pick me up at 4:30 because I had to go pick up a few things anyways. I got back to work, and shortly before 4, I checked my emails and had this email with subject ‘Haiti’ from a Ruth... In the body of the message, it said ‘When are you leaving for Haiti’? I had no idea who it was. I had talked and emailed so many people in the pass weeks for Haiti that I could not remember who she was. Then it hit me... she was Frank McKenna’s Executive Assistant. I suddenly got out of control; I did not know what she wanted. So I email her back and told her that we were leaving on Sunday. By that time, it was passed 4pm. I should have been out of the office but I was so excited that I stayed. I was just about to shutdown my computer and my phone rang. I looked and saw ‘Ruth ...’ on the caller display. I jumped out of my seat and answered, she said is this Sylvie and foolish me, I answered ‘Thank You’ LOL What an idiot I am...Anyways, she said, Frank has been thinking about your trip and he really wants to help you out. She said he asked me to find out again when you were leaving and to try and make something happen. I told her I was in Moncton at the Blue Cross Building. She said do you think you could arrange to go to the TD Bank Sat. Morning? I told her I could but I was working close to TD Bank. She said hold on a minute, she put me on hold and when she returned she gave me the name of a lady and told me to go there right now and they would give me something to bring to Haiti. I was so amazed by the work of this lady. She is incredible. If you were passing on Main Street Friday around 4:15pm, you might have seen me running on Main St. I ran all the way there. As soon as I got there, I told them who I was and I got taken care of. That man is so caring. With his donation and all the other ones I received, we will be able to make a great contribution for the medical equipment they need. I can’t even describe how I felt. I know that my angles are working hard to make all of this happen. I don’t know and don’t understand how they are doing it but it’s just happening. On top of all that, Margo was able to bring me 30 prescriptions of what Dixie said she needed urgently for the children. I am so grateful for her.

No comments: