Friday, December 23, 2011

Haiti - Monday Meeting Kyanne's biological mother

Monday, November 21, 2011
Princess was still sleeping at 7am. We had to wake her up. I guess she must be catching up from the nursery with all the babies crying. Brandon had cereal out for breakfast so I took out my oatmeal flax and she loved it. Mommy too! We dropped off his kids to school before heading out to the main house for the day. Victor walked Koffee to the school yard. It was nice to see all the children playing in the yard. When we got to GLA, we went to see our little friends, Théo, Nathan and Clay up in the nursery. We enjoyed spending time with them on the balcony. We met Théo’s sponsor. She’s a lovely lady. She was cuddling with him and he had a big smile on his face.
I spoke to Melissa about the paper that is now needed at the airport since the earthquake. She did not know what I was talking about. She said she would call Dixie and ask. She confirmed that the lady I was talking about, her son was at GLA, however it was BRESMA, the O. that took care of the paperwork.
We were not there even half hour and Melissa came to tell us that Berline’s biological mother was waiting for us downstairs. I was in shock! I did not know how I was going to do this. I walked downstairs and with Kyanne in my arms to see her bio mother. The experience was very emotional. I don’t think I can describe how I felt inside. Kyanne’s bio mother is very young. She had a big smile on her face when she saw us. She knows we are bringing her little girl to Canada. I tried to give her Kyanne so she could hold her; however Kyanne started crying and wanted to be in my arms. Tears were running down her cheeks. I then got Victor to take Kyanne so I could talk with her and she saw Kyanne’s big smile when she went in daddy’s arms. I honestly believe she felt relieved and knows her little girl is already comfortable with her forever family. Magalie had to translate because she only spoke Créole. We asked about health issues in her family and any information she had about the bio dad. She said there was no treatning disease that she knows of. She said Kyanne’s bio dad was big and tall. I told her that we are going to take good care of Kyanne and she smiled. I handed her the pendant and chain I had bought for her with a picture of Kyanne on one side and a picture of Kyanne, my husband and I on the other side. I told her she will be reminded that she’s in a good home. She asked us if we would sponsor Kyanne’s siblings. She has another son and daughter, 3 and 6 years old and she can’t afford to send them to school. She was living in Kenscoff and now she has moved to Site Soleil, the slums of Haiti. She is not doing well. She also announced to us that she was pregnant again. She was 9 months pregnant... ready to have her child. I lost it when she said that. I was crying. I could not believe what I was hearing. She said she was going to keep this one. How on earth can she be pregnant again!!! It’s so hard to understand life in Haiti. We could not even tell she was pregnant until she got up. We said we would sponsor her children next year when school starts. We’ll be able to do this through GLA. Before she left, we took some pictures with her and one with her giving Kyanne a kiss on the cheek. We gave her some money as well. I pray God that she will use that money wisely to help her children. I felt good for Kyanne’s sake that we got to meet her. Renée was very emotional during our time with Kyanne’s bio mother. When Kyanne grows up, I want to show her pictures of her bio mother and let her know that she loved her very much. It took her almost 4 hours to get to GLA on 4 tap taps.
James brought us to the Lookout ‘Leboutlier’ for some shopping and site seeing. Words and pictures cannot describe the view from up there. We stayed there for a good half hours looking over Haiti. It’s so beautiful. James was able to point out were Site Soleil was. It’s far from where we were. I had Kyanne in my arms, and I was crying. It was really emotional for me. I finally had my baby girl in my arms and I am talking her home with me. Kyanne will not have to worry to have food in her tummy, a warm place to sleep, but what about her siblings??? Bringing her home is tougher that I thought it was going to be. I thought I was going to be happy, but for some reason, I feel sadness. Yes we are bringing her home but I feel so much pain for her bio mother and her children. Why did she get pregnant again and she doesn’t have a job and she can’t afford to send her 2 other children to school??? Live is very different in Haiti. They don’t know if they will have food on the table tomorrow, and yet they are happy.
After lunch, we went to play with our little friends on the balcony. Théo was again shy when he first saw me coming but like always, he starts smiling after a few minutes. Every time I tried to take a picture of him, he smiled after LOL!
Nathan fell in love with me hahah! He was squeezing me but the legs each time I walked by him. If I bend down to be with him, he would just jump in my arms and cuddle. Clay always has a big smile on his face. He is such a lovely boy. He always wants to be picked up. I was taking with one of his volunteer that was actually there a few months ago. She said she spent a lot of one on one time with him and he was a sweet boy. I can’t say enough how GLA has a good volunteer program.
We are getting to know our little Kyanne in all her true colours. She needs to have her way or she throws herself on the floor. She’s a handful that’s for sure LOL! I knew it was not going to be all pretty, but to throw herself on the floor.. Yikes!!!
Before we headed back to the guest house, I asked Melissa and Theriot did not have the IBESR paper yet. She said he was going back first thing in the morning and he would meet us at the airport. So nothing like suspense till the last minute. At this point, I honestly did not care if we were making the flight or not. We would go so Nicole and Renée could go back. I now have Kyanne with me and that’s all that matters. If it takes 2 more days, well so be it! I stressed enough for timeframes and paperwork to make its way to the next stage. Not anymore. I have her and that’s all that matters. We’ll see what tomorrow brings. 


 
View of the Palais from the lookout.











Kyanne's passport, visa and travel documents

View from the lookout, Haiti.

Saying goodbye to Haiti.
Wislande!!!




Meeting Kyanne's birth mom.
Kyanne's birth mother giving her a goodbye kiss.
Staff @ GLA Susie, Holli and Melissa

Family picture xoxo

Nicole and James
Sweet adorable Théo!
Children at the toddler house.
Renée and I giving treats.
My sweet little Wislande!!! I love her so much!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

How special to have met Kyanne's birthmom! What a special memory and wonderful idea of giving her a locket with the pictures!

Denise said...

I'm so glad you were able to meet Kyanne's birthmom.Life is very different in Haiti, isn't it? Very hard for us to understand.